Last Modified: 2/29/2016
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.8
Microsoft Windows 7 Embedded
IMPORTANT: Products running the 5700 scan engine are no longer be supported because the 5700 engine reached End of Life (EOL) on February 29, 2016. For more information on the 5700 Engine EOL, see KB86692.
Windows 7 Embedded
Intel Security has approved support for Windows 7 Embedded, assuming the following minimum requirements are met:
- Use VSE 8.8 with the latest patch.
McAfee product software, upgrades, maintenance releases, and documentation are available from the Product Downloads site at: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx.
NOTE: You will need a valid Grant Number for access. KB56057 provides additional information about the Product Downloads site, as well as alternate locations for some products.
- Use the McAfee 5800 Scan Engine.
- Use McAfee Agent (MA) 4.8 or later.
IMPORTANT: Intel Security does not support Enhanced Write Filtering File Based Write Filtering technology.
Hardware and software components of the embedded image
These must meet or exceed the following hardware and software requirements. The image must include the components listed in the component list.
Hardware - Minimum supported requirements
- A writable, persistent storage drive. The hard disk drive used must be C:
- A minimum of 380 MB of free space on drive C: before installing VSE.
This includes 130 MB for the VSE and the ePO Agent files, and 250 MB for temporary workspace during the installation process, DAT files, and backups of DAT files.
- A minimum of 512 MB of RAM plus 512 MB of Virtual Memory.
NOTE: Intel Security recommends 1 GB of RAM plus the use of Virtual Memory for improved performance.
- An Ethernet adapter and support for TCP/IP.
- A 32-bit processor based on the x86 (Intel or AMD) architecture.
- A display device capable of 800 x 600 resolution or higher.
- A keyboard and pointing device.
- ePO must have administrative access to the Win 7 device by knowledge of one of the following:
- A local administrative account name and password.
- A domain management administrator name and password for the domain to which the Win 7 device belongs.
- The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run must exist in the registry before deploying the McAfee Agent via ePO. Win 7 does not always create this key.
CAUTION: Information about opening or modifying the registry is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and might cause system failure if done incorrectly.
- The McAfee Framework Service (typically, C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe) must be allowed access through any software firewall that interferes with IP communication between the ePO server and update repositories. If not, you may get error messages indicating the AutoUpdate has failed or VSE is unable to communicate with the ePO Server.
- If VSE email scanners (such as Notes or Outlook scanners) are required, ensure that all additional Win 7 components required by Notes or Outlook are included on the computer.
Embedded Component List
ADSI LDAP Provider
ADSI Windows NT Provider
Active Template Library
Administration Support Tools
Class Installer - Stream
Client / Server Runtime (Console)
Client Printing Support 1
Common Control Libraries Version XPSP2
Compression and Expansion Tools
Connection Manager Runtime
Core Networking 2
Cryptographic Network Services
Cryptographic Service Providers
Disk Management Basic Volume Runtime
Disk Management Services
Display Control Panel 3
English Language Support 4
Explorer Shell 5
FBA: Driver Signing
HTML Help Engine
I/O Error Log Messages
Kernel Mode Crypto Driver for RSA
Kernel Streaming User Mode Support
Messenger Service (Net Send)
Microsoft Foundation Class Library (Legacy)
Microsoft Line Services
Microsoft Management Console
Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
Microsoft Visual C++ Run Time (Legacy)
Microsoft Visual C++ Run Time
Misc. Command Line Tools
Network Dynamic Data Exchange
Networking Application Compatibility 6
NLS: Core Files
Null Device Driver
OLE Dialog Interfaces
Performance Logs and Alerts Service
Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
Printer Common #1 (Client Side Shared Components)
RAS Async Adapter
Remote Registry Service
Rich Edit Control Version 1.0
Rich Edit Control Version 3.0
Rich Edit Control Version 4.1
RPC Local Support
RPC Named Service
Security Accounts Manager Server Library
Security Configuration Engine Command Line Utility
Security Settings Editor
Service Control Manager
Session Manager (Windows subsystem)
Shell Application Compatibility 7
Software Installation Group Policy Extension
Standard Start Menu Shortcuts
Standard Template Libraries
System Control Panel
TCP/IP Version 6
Terminal Server Remote Desktop
Terminal Services Core
Terminal Services Runtime
Terminal Services Web Control Core
Terminal Services WMI Provider
User Interface Core 8
Users Control Panel
Visual C++ Runtime Libraries XPSP2
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing 9
Windows Installer Service
Windows Logon (Standard)
Windows NT MARTA Provider
Windows Script Engines
Windows Security Configuration Editor Client Engine
WMI Management Snapins
WMI View provider
WMI Win32 Provider
WMI Windows Installer provider