Last Modified: 09/09/2013
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
This article deals with AntiSpyware Enterprise (ASE) 8.7 as an add-on for VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.7i. This is the final release of this software. New releases are incorporated with VSE.
- From VSE 8.8, the AntiSpyware Enterprise module is no longer separate from VSE - it has been fully integrated into the product. You can enable or disable anti-spyware features using the standard methods.
- A version of most of the following information is available in the relevant product installation guides and readme.txt files. However, the original McAfee product and installation guides are unlikely to reflect the most recent McAfee support policy for those platforms because Microsoft releases new operating systems or service packs on a regular basis.
- This article aims to contain the latest information. Some of this is made available via linked Product Management statements, which are also published in the McAfee KnowledgeBase.
- Support for operating system service packs is generally synchronized with these service packs being supported by their manufacturer.
- McAfee updates the supportability information for each new Microsoft Windows operating system after this has been released to manufacturing and within 30 days of that release.
Compatibility with VSE
|Product||Add-on for||Supported operating systems|
|ASE 8.7||VSE 8.7i||Identical to the main product (see KB51111)|
|ASE 8.5||VSE 8.5i||ASE 8.5 reached End of Life at the same time as the main product (VSE 8.5i.)|
Latest available ASE 8.7 Patches
|Product||Patch version||Release notes||Comments|
|-||PD20832||Reposted November 8, 2011 to include support for Windows XP Embedded.
Reposted October 1, 2009 to include support for Windows 7.
|ASE 8.5 reached End of Life (EOL) at the same time as the main product (VSE 8.5i.)|
ASE release dates
|Product||Release Date (RTW)||EOL/End of Sale (EOS) (matches VSE EOL/EOS dates)|
|ASE 8.7||September, 2008||EOS April 1, 2011*
ASE 8.7i is the final release of this software.
New releases are incorporated into the VSE product. McAfee strongly recommends you upgrade VSE to its latest version. McAfee will not provide support for product and its related components beyond the EOL date. The EOL date for ASE 8.7 is expected to coincide with the EOL for VSE 8.7i, which has not been set yet.
|ASE 8.5||November, 2006||EOS April 1, 2011*
EOL December 31, 2011
|ASE 8.0||August, 2004||EOS April 1, 2011*
EOL March 31, 2010
Because of the risks involved in running an out of date and untested Engine, McAfee actively enforces an EOL policy for older Engines. This is done by disabling .DAT file updates for these Engines.
The Engine requirement matches that of the main product (VSE). See KB51111.
|ASE 8.5||5400||ASE 8.5 reached EOL at the same time as the main product (VSE 8.5i.)|
The hardware requirements match those of the main product (VSE). See KB51111.
KB51109 - Supported Environments for McAfee products (Master Article)
|End of Support (EOS) Notification||
|End of Life (EOL) Period||The EOL Period refers to the timeframe beginning with the day that McAfee notifies its intentions to discontinue a product until the last date that the product is formally supported. In general, after the EOL Period is announced, product enhancements are not made.|
|End of Support||The last day that the product is supported according the terms of McAfee’s standard support offering.|
Glossary of Technical Terms
Please take a moment to browse our Glossary of Technical Terms.